What is team mode?
When presenting a live session, you can choose to present the classic "player vs player" mode or one of our "team vs team" modes.
- Player vs player: Classic - Each player competes for a top spot on the podium.
- Team vs team: Shared devices - Each team huddles around one device.
- Team vs team: Personal devices - Each team player uses their own device.
In this mode, each team huddles around one device.
- Each team can nominate a leader to pin into your session and input answers.
- The team leader can also add a nickname for each teammate. These will be shown throughout the game.
- Team talk is enabled to give teams 5 secs to discuss questions. It cannot be disabled in this version of team mode.
In this mode, each team player uses their own device. Below are feature tables of eligible plans for work, higher ed, school, students, and home. You can also learn more about team names, line-ups, and team talk as well as scores and reports.
|Kahoot! for work||Teams||Team names||Team line-ups|
|360 Spirit||100 max||Custom||Custom|
|Enterprise (legacy)||5 max||Custom||Custom|
|360 Pro||5 max||Custom||Custom|
|Event Gold||10 max||Custom||Custom|
|Event Silver||5 max||Custom||Custom|
|Event Bronze||3 max||Custom||Custom|
|Kahoot! for higher ed||Teams||Team names||Team line-ups|
|Plus, Pro, or Premium||2 max||Automatic||Automatic|
|Kahoot! for school||Teams||Team names||Team line-ups|
|Basic, Pro, or Premium||2 max||Automatic||Automatic|
|Basic for students||2 max||Automatic||Automatic|
|Kahoot! for students||Teams||Team names||Team line-ups|
|Kahoot! for home||Teams||Team names||Team line-ups|
|Home or Family||2 max||Automatic||Automatic|
Team names, line-ups, and team talk
For hosts with an eligible higher ed, school, student, or home plan team names and line-ups are set automatically. Team names are represented by different colors and an illustration. Participants are automatically assigned to teams. Teams are automatically rebalanced if players drop out. Team talk is enabled by default to give teams 5 secs to discuss questions. You can use the team talk button next to the lock and start buttons to disable this (recommended for video conferences).
For hosts with an eligible work plan, team names and line-ups are set by either the first player to join a team or you, the host.
- You can click the + button in the top left to add more teams or edit a team to rename or delete it. Once you've edited a team name, players can no longer edit it.
- When players join your kahoot, they can choose which team to join. You can also move players to different teams by dragging a nickname from one team to another. You can also remove them from your game by using the removal button that appears when you hover your cursor over their nickname.
- Team talk is enabled by default to give teams time to discuss questions. Time allotted ranges from 5-20 seconds, based on the question timer. You can use the team talk button next to the lock and start buttons to disable this (recommended for video conferences).
Scores and reports
During gameplay, team scores will be visible on scoreboards and the podium. These are an average of team player scores.
Player scores are not visible during gameplay. You can find them in your report afterward.